Bloxham circular walks
This main walk is 4.5 miles and the shorter walk approximately 1 mile. Both walks start and finish at the Red Lion. The two walks can be combined and both routes include attractive views of the village church and the surrounding countryside with pleasant undulating meadows and farmland. Kissing gates have been installed on both routes. Dog walkers please ensure that dogs are kept on leads and under close control at all times especially when there is livestock in the fields. The walks are waymarked so keep wherever possible to the described route respecting the landowner’s property.
- Start at the Red Lion and go uphill towards the church. Carefully cross the A361 entering the path by the telephone box. Continue down the path, turn left, walk 50m then turn right along the cobbled path (No Motor Vehicle signs).Go left and walk along Queens St for 200m.
- Cross to Station Rd continuing to Colesbourne Rd. Turn left into Orchard Grove to Recreation Ground and follow the path on right alongside hedge line to a kissing gate.
- Continue for 200m. You can optionally enter the Slade Nature Reserve on RHS here. Bear left to two gates over a stream, continue on the path to a gate opposite. Keep to the path to another gate then bear left crossing field through a gap. Continue to a stile opposite by a bridleway. Turn right and follow bridleway. Cross disused rail line and proceed straight on through two more gates over a stream.
- Follow the path on the right uphill and then downhill. Cross the stream using the footbridge, turn right and left through a livestock gate and keeping to left towards Tadmarton Road via two gates.
- Continue to follow bridleway directly over the road going uphill. At the top of the hill take the gate on the right and go left downhill to a gate on left. Go directly through the gap to the bridleway gate opposite. Follow the bridleway for 600m and then go right on permissive path keeping to the hedge line on the right.
- Exit via the kissing gate then go right on the road (Ells Lane). Continue past entrance to Nayland Farm and just past Ells Farm go right through kissing gate on path sp Bloxham 1, up Hobb Hill. By trees on right take diagonal route left towards the centre of the hedge at the top of the hill.
- Go through the double gates and follow fence/hedge line proceeding straight on then downhill through 4 kissing gates following the path to the road. Turn left then right into Workhouse Lane. Carefully cross A361 at the pedestrian crossing and walk back towards the start.
- The shorter village walk is approximately 1 mile. From the Joiners Arms, walk right towards the Elephant & Castle then turn right in Chapel Stree
- Turn right at the Ridgeway and continue to the kissing gate on right. Go through the gate on the permissive path following hedge line to a kissing gate.
- Go over bridge to kissing gate walking uphill to double set of gates on right. Walk in the direction of the church towards the kissing gate and continue to kissing gate by the church. At the road turn right returning to start point at Joiners Arms.
Car parking is available at the Red Lion and The Joiners Arms which both act as the starting point for both walks.
The Red Lion is situated right in the heart of Bloxham, a few minutes South West of Banbury in North Oxfordshire on the A361 to Chipping Norton. You will find us on the high street between the shops and church.
The Red Lion
01295 722 067
Pub Opening Hours
9am – 2.30pm
Tuesday – Saturday:
9am – 11pm
9am – 5pm
Kitchen Opening Hours
Monday – Saturday 12pm-2.30pm
Tuesday – Saturday 6pm-9pm
Call us on
01295 722 067